Coronavirus (COVID-19) 3/2/2020
Sellwood Medical Clinic is dedicated to the health and well-being of our community. We will be updating information as it is available to help us all stay healthy.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) first appeared in Wuhan, China, back in December 2019. Since then it has spread worldwide and on 2/28/2020 The Oregon Health Authority confirmed Oregon’s first case of COVID-19. The individual is a staff member at Lake Oswego’s Forest Hills Elementary School and has no known exposure or recent travel to affected areas- see CDC website for an updated list of travel notices https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices
Symptoms to Watch For:
The symptoms of Coronavirus are like the common cold and flu. They typically develop within 14 days after exposure.
- Fever (temperature above 100.4 degrees)
- Breathing concerns: shortness of breath, rapid breathing, difficulty breathing, chest pain
- Sore throat
- Body aches
How to Protect Your Family and those around you:
Like the common cold and flu, Coronavirus is spread from person to person through droplets in the air from a sneeze or cough. Currently, there is no vaccine to prevent the virus. The most effective way to protect yourself and your family is to avoid exposure. Other simple and effective measures include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Lead by example https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/pdf/HH-Posters-ENG-Parents_1.pdf
- Wash your hands https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/pdf/wash-your-hands-poster-english-508.pdf
When to contact us:
- If you believe your child has been exposed or if your child develops symptoms, call our offices right away to discuss a plan of action.
- We are prepared to care for your child in a safe way that avoids infecting other patients. It is important to stay home if you are sick to prevent spreading the virus.
- Sellwood Medical Clinic is implementing telehealth services as fast as we can. You will be able to have “video visit” in the comfort of your home with a Sellwood provider soon.
Here’s a list of reliable sources to stay updated:
- For general information, call 211
- OHA Emerging Respiratory Disease page: www.healthoregon.org/coronavirus
- CDC COVID-19 page: www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- CDC travel notice: wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices
- WHO page: www.who.int/westernpacific/emergencies/novel-coronavirus
- What Parents Need to Know About the Coronavirus https://parenting.nytimes.com/childrens-health/coronavirus-children-pregnant-women
- How to Talk to Kids About Coronavirus https://parenting.nytimes.com/childrens-health/coronavirus-kids-talk
- Just for Kids: A Comic Exploring the New Coronavirus https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/02/28/809580453/just-for-kids-a-comic-exploring-the-new-coronavirus